Sunday, July 13, 2008

I bake

As long as I can remember I've been baking.

One of my earliest memories, I must have been a toddler, is of taking out all the bowls from a kitchen cupboard, sitting on the floor with a wooden spoon in my hand - "baking".

At six I found some recipes with drawings as explanations. I made my first simple jam cookies then.

In 9th grade we were supposed to try a profession for two weeks. We could choose, almost, anything we wanted. For two weeks I got up at 4:30* am every day, took the subway into town, and worked at a bakery. Heaven!

During all my teenage years, I remember my father saying, about once a month, "you bake, I do dishes". We filled the freezer with a months supply of coffee bread.

So how come I never thought of going into that profession? Well, I did think it. But a 'smart girl' like me should go to the university. Right? Baking can still be a nice hobby. Right?

And I've continued to bake, as a hobby, including fantasy birthday cakes to the kids, volunteering every time there needed to be a cake in kindergarten and school.

Now I think it's time that I bake for a broader market. Would you like to taste? See my events calendar in the margin or drop me a line, and we'll figure out how to meet.



*As a minor, I wasn't allowed to start working before 6 am. Otherwise I would probably have been at the bakery at that hour.

No comments: