Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cookies and healthy

When I recently started to bake cookies for selling and told people about it, a lot of times I got the question what ingredients I'm using. Actually, "why do I use white flour? Or sugar? It's not healthy."

I know. I also try to eat more grains, less "whites" (sugar/flour/rice), no trans, more water, no soft drinks, more green leaves. And so on.

I started to transform my cookie recipes and use whole wheat flour, brown or demerara sugar, oil as shortening. Anything I could think of. I searched the web for alternatives and asked a nutritionist. Hey, I want people to enjoy my cookies. Not to shun them.

Well, it's just not the same. Not the texture nor the flavor. It's a cookie. It's good. But as healthy as one makes a cookie it's still a cookie, not an apple or a carrot*.

So I've decided. I'm going to follow the original recipes to get the traditional cookies. Eat two (instead of ten) and ENJOY them! And then eat an apple instead of the other eight...



*BTW, I also bake muffins filled with apples and carrots and nuts and date honey and other healthy things :-)

No comments: